Pull together everyone in your household and make a plan. Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes. Households with children should consider drawing a floor plan of your home, marking two ways out of each room, including windows and doors. Also, mark the location of each smoke carbon monoxide alarms.
The below fast stats provided by The NJ Department of Community Affairs’ Division of Fire Safety for
– 77 civilians lost their lives as a result of fire.
– 59 (77%) of all civilian fire fatalities occurred in residential properties.
– 33 (43%) in 1 or 2 family dwellings
– 26 (33%) in multifamily dwellings
– 260 civilians were reported injured as a result of fire. (Page 24)
– 581 civilians were reported revived by fire departments using an
automatic external defibrillator.
– 27,409 fires were reported.
– 5 firefighters died in the line of duty.
– 648 firefighter injuries were reported.
– 15,514 structure fires were reported.
– 79% of all reported structure fires involved residential properties.
– 56% of reported residential fires occurred in 1 or 2 family dwellings.
– 282 fires were reported intentionally set in residential properties.
– 77% of all reported vehicle fires involved passenger vehicles.
– 14 (18%) civilian fire fatalities occurred in vehicles.
– 40 passenger vehicle fires were reported intentionally set.
– 2,352 acres were reported burned.
– 358 school fires were reported.
– 8% of all reported incident responses were fire incidents.